Shannon Bénay, Esq.
(508) 454-6836 firstname.lastname@example.org
Shannon is an attorney licensed to practice law in Massachusetts and Rhode Island. She began her legal and mediation career in Colorado where she focused primarily on family law. Over the years, she has represented clients in and mediated a variety of family law cases dealing with divorce, custody, child support and property division.
In conjunction with her work as an associate, she became a trained mediator and began mediating cases for the Jefferson County Mediation Association and as a sole practitioner. Upon moving back to Massachusetts from Colorado, Shannon quickly became involved in the Massachusetts Council on Family Mediation and the Rhode Island Mediators Association
Shannon has a long history of advising clients and resolving client-related issues. As a law student, she was a Substance Abuse Counselor at the Adult Correctional Institution in Cranston, Rhode Island where she helped inmates address their criminal-addictive behavior through cognitive-behavioral therapy. Shortly after graduating from law school, she worked as an Associate Wealth Manager for a wealth management firm in Boulder, Colorado. Here she worked closely with clients and advisors by providing research and customer support. While working in wealth management, Shannon maintained her commitment to serving her community by volunteering for Boulder County Legal Services and Denver Metro Volunteer Lawyers. This commitment allowed her to transition easily from financial services to legal services.
Shannon brings her years of counseling, research and advocacy experience to each and every mediation she conducts. Her goal is to use these skills to help her clients tailor agreements that fit their particular needs and long-term goals.
- Volunteer Competition Judge, International Academy of Dispute Resolution (2012)
- Volunteer Lawyers, Rhode Island Bar Association (2012 – Present)
- Community Mediation Center of Rhode Island (2012 – Present)
- Volunteer Lawyers project, Senior Partners (2012 – Present)
- Bristol County Probate & Family Court: Lawyer of the Day Program (2012 – Present)
- Jefferson County Mediation Services (2010 – 2011)
- Denver Metro Volunteer Lawyers (2007 – 2010)
- Boulder County Legal Services (2008)
- Colorado Legal Services (2005)
Current Professional Memberships
- Massachusetts Council on Family Mediation
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Rhode Island Mediators Association
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- Roger Williams University School of Law, J.D.
- University of Massachusetts, B.A.
- Mares-Dixon & Associates, 40-hour Mediation Training Certificate
- Boston Bar Association and Massachusetts Bar Association, Conciliation Training
Awards and Honors
- First Justices’ Award for Pro Bono Publico Excellence
- Dean’s List